[IMPORTANT] Post count disabled in Games & Games section

Official board news and announcement

Moderators: Super Moderator, User Support

Postby SantaClaus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:26 am

Not so sure if this is a good idea...

I mean, a board can gain a lot by making their members socialize, and the Games section is a good way to do this. There are many boards, but communities are something that few of them have. Many just are visited for the stuff they offer.

If they have more than just that, they make the difference

So maybe it would be a nice idea to rethink this?

SantaClaus
Gold Member
Gold Member

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

And remember:

Postby cyber_skills » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:42 pm

SantaClaus wrote:I mean, a board can gain a lot by making their members socialize, and the Games section is a good way to do this.

Santa - we didn´t close the entire Games section - we just disabled the post count. It doesn´t mean that noone can post there anymore (or socialize) - well, I hope so at least. :roll:

Our Forum here has much more to offer than Games and we figured it might be time to bring this back into everyone´s attention :wink:

cyber_skills
DaBuns, the Caffeine junkie
Gold Member

12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership12 years of membership

Postby SantaClaus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:14 pm

Did the other sections suffer from the rising attention for the games section? Well, if so, the post count disabling might be the best idea. As the individual traffic for the diverse parts of the board are not known to non-staff members, some choices are a little harder to understand than others.

No, of course the disabling doesn't mean it's closed, and good members will of course keep on posting there, counting or not. I just saw in my 'home board' I am a member of for five years that this little bit of encouragement can make the difference in the long run.

But I don't thing ECC will ever be in trouble having a good crowd, given the allround mix of hosted material, service and fun ;)

SantaClaus
Gold Member
Gold Member

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

And remember:

Postby divineiam » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:59 am

I think its a good move, since posting in that section is the easiest way for people rushing to raise their post count to get it.

Also taking part in a game usually dun give the others information so they can really get to know each other
divineiam

Postby qurtuba » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:50 am

I agree with the Mods decision. Can I say I saw it coming? Yes? I saw it coming.

Games are fun, oh yes, but what should really count to sshow the dedication of a member is not just the count, but the opportunity, quality, let's say value of the posts. Well, I have been told so.

And I guess we don't need to present our back to the lashing of being demoted, just keep posting and see what happen.

btw, this is my first post after returning from Canary islands (Fuerteventura, full of german people!!!) and I see you really can go on without me....

qurtuba
Quite a nice guy, with a twist...
Super Moderator

Omnia mecum porto

Postby LeeEJ » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 am

I remember that I had expressed it as a minor gripe, that post whoring in "chain game" threads just seemed like a cheap way to build post counts, and that it didn't really contribute anything to forum discussions.

I haven't posted much anyway  :oops: , but I've also said that there aren't a lot of threads that really catch my interests, either.  There are other forums where I can get more detailed info regarding my hobbies (bicycling, Hondas, racing, tuba playing, etc), so it becomes difficult to stay interested in non-comix topics around ECC when there's only so much that's going to be said.

It's not really the fault of anybody here, though; it's just the nature of web forums.

LeeEJ
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby qurtuba » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:08 am

Lee, did you think about opening your own thread? If so, just do it. I'd participate in an Honda forum (I have two, VFR-R and CBR-R) and at the races (MotoGP and F1, maybe superbike) and many other subjects.

They are not closely related to comix, you say? Well, then maybe not many people will follow, and you'll have to cut it short... then you may be surprised.

Maybe I am talking too much and better mods than me will say no unrelated forum allowed... But we have forums about many, many different subjects.

In case of opening a forum yourself, remember you'll have to "maintain" it, following the posts, making it live...

qurtuba
Super Moderator

Omnia mecum porto

Postby LeeEJ » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 am

qurtuba wrote:Lee, did you think about opening your own thread? If so, just do it.

I rarely ever start my own threads in the other forums, either.. lol

The last thread I started on any forum was asking whether cyclists preferred messenger bags or backpacks; before that, ... um, I can't even remember...

I'd participate in an Honda forum (I have two, VFR-R and CBR-R) and at the races (MotoGP and F1, maybe superbike) and many other subjects.

I'd never own a motorcycle, though.  :wink:

LeeEJ
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby qurtuba » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:51 am

Well, LeeEJ, just try it!!!
about I'd never own a motorcycle, though.  ...
:cry:
Anyway, you are posting now, right? And reading this and that post, no? There you are! As long as you do that, and your posts has some value ("gee thanks", "hey, nice post", "bravo mod!!" and such count, but the wrong way) you will progress. Any contribution (webspace donation, helping the trans team...) also helps
(I also have a MotoGuzzi LeMans III with full cowling  :tongue: )

qurtuba
Super Moderator

Omnia mecum porto

Previous

Return to Board News & Announcements